Thursday 12 April 2012

Sleepless in Seattle

My wife and I had a few days off so we decided to ditch our kids(they are quite capable of taking care of themselves now that they are in high school with one graduating this spring) and we headed down to Seattle for an overnighter.  My wife gambled for our hotel using Hotwire.com and we ended up with a so, so place about a mile and a half from where we wanted to be.  The hotel would have been very convenient had I wanted to see a game given that it was right across the street from Safeco Field.

The weather was a mixed bag with very rainy periods as should be expected for anyone who lives in the pacific northwest or the Seattle area.  You never leave home without your rain gear and I was no exception.


As we were were just doing a little shopping and behaving like typical tourons, visiting Pike Place Market was a must.


Seattle isn't quite as bohemian as Portland.  Seattle has a more mature and sophisticated vibe about it, especially when it comes to dining out.  This morning we had a wonderful breakfast at Sweet Iron Waffles and I must say the barista, who made my latte, was an artist!

On the drive back home, we decided to take a detour along Chuckanut Drive because I have never been on it.  It was stunningly beautiful and well worth the extra time.  I would really like to spend more time exploring the trails along this road and perhaps trying a few oysters from bay we drove next to.

It was a nice surprise to be waved back over the border without any hassle after having purchased over twice our allowable limit.  I almost wished we had spent more(no way!).

1 comment:

  1. I like Seattle too. It reminds me of Vancouver, pre-Expo 86. Our sleepless in Seattle experiences are usually because we stay at the hostel across the street from Pike Place. Noisy, but convieniant. On our last visit I noticed a tiny park on the waterfront about 15 minutes walk from PP. they just starting to greenify their waterfront, similar to our False Creek and Coal Harbour. Given thirty years and much needed public transit system, Seattle could be a beautiful city too.

    ReplyDelete