Sunday 18 March 2012

Bushcrafting Afternoon - In search of fomes fomentarius

Today I had a nice pleasant 4km hike with my family around Richmond Nature Park.  Since we have a lot of paper birch growing naturally in our local boggy areas, I thought it might be a great place to look for Chaga, or False Tinder/Horsehoof fungus(fomes fomentarius).


The trail was very wet in spots but it was good practice for my ocean beach trail hikes .



While I didn't find and Chaga, I did find some Horsehoof fungus right where I would expect to find it.


Now that you are curious as to what I want it for, there is a very soft layer between the hard outside skin and the spongy interior of the fungus which makes excellent tinder.  It is called "amadou".  Amadou can also be used to carry an ember for a long time, it makes an excellent strop for knife sharpening, and first nations people used to fashion clothing out of it.  I think I need a little practice harvesting it as the best mine will ever be for is as tinder.

False Tinder/Horsehoof Fungus (fomes fomentarius) 
Amadou 
Now I just need to dry it out a little and put it in my fire/tinder box.

1 comment:

  1. Are you going to use that amadou with flint and steel? For that purpose you need to boil it with birch ash, hammer and bend gently as wide and thin as possible.

    - Finnman

    ReplyDelete