Tuesday 19 July 2011

Ice Ice Baby

As you can probably see from previous pictures in my blog, I love shave ice.  I have never really seen it anywhere other than in my travels to warm destinations or occasionally in fairs on hot summer days.  In Hawaii, shave ice is served with the same amount of pride as is Spam.  Indeed the competition for who makes the best shave ice on various Hawaiian islands is fiercely fought over and local media food critics frequently write columns featuring their favorite vendors.



Why do I like this simple concoction of ice and various flavored syrups?  Why is it any different from gabbing a Super Slurpee from the 7 Eleven down the block?  What makes it unique from all those blended lime margaritas I am often found imbibing?   The answers to these questions boils down to the location where it's served and recognition of the artistic pride and/or talent that goes into making it.  Getting the right shave, ice crystal density, and syrup distribution through the ice is different between establishments as is the selection of flavors.  Shave ice is refreshing and feels surprisingly light despite all the sugar there is in the syrups.   Eating ice cream does not feel the same.  Shave ice can be personalized in thousands (if not millions) of different flavor combinations.  It's also cheap.

Despite owning my own ice shaver (for those previously mentioned margaritas), I wouldn't attempt making shave ice at home.  The location would be all wrong and that would sour the experience.  I doubt I could get it right anyways and it only has two ingredients!




Perhaps the biggest reason I love shave ice is that I only have it on vacation.  It could be a simple matter of conditioning.  Eating shave ice triggers all the good time, relaxing, freedom feelings and memories.  Perhaps if it were readily available, it would lose its attraction....but it's not, so I can continue to look forward to many more shave ices in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment